Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Last Friday

So, I haven't told many people about my little excitement last Friday. Here's the story... I decided that I did not want to cook dinner. I was just too tired but I would put in enough effort to cook a papa murphy's pizza. So, I called in my order and off I went to pick up the pizzas. Rich was sleeping upstairs and the kids wanted to stay home with him, so I let them. I told Garret that I would be back in 15 minutes and to only wake his dad up if there is an emergency. I got to papa murphy's and waited in a huge line but thankfully my pizzas were ready when I got to the front of the line. Things were going great. I was hungry and ready to eat the garlic chicken pizza  that I bought for Rich & me. The kids got cheese of course. Well, on the way home, there was a lot of traffic and I got stopped pretty far back because of a red light. No big deal, until the rear end of my car got slammed in to! I wasn't expecting it and so of course, I was jerked pretty hard but seemed okay. The guy that hit me proceeded to stop and then back up and pull over into the center turning lane. I assumed that he was moving out of the way of traffic, so that we didn't cause a huge back up. Well, instead of stopping when he got into the center lane, he took off!  Can you believe it?! HE TOOK OFF! I was in a hit and run. I was completely shocked. I watched as he sped down the center lane, trying to find somewhere to turn so that he could get away. But thankfully, there was too much traffic, so he couldn't cut in front of people to turn right and he missed the turn into Walgreens. Well, there is a median that eventually separates the lanes and he ends up going into oncoming traffic. All the while, I am completely baffled and driving up the center lane just watching this happen and trying to see if I can get close enough to get his license plate number. He almost gets into 3 other wrecks. He was crazy! I guess he finally thought that he saw an opening in the cars that he could make and tried to make a quick right onto Hoyt road. Remember, he is in the wrong lane, so he had to cut in front of people that were coming head on and the people that were actually going straight in the right lane. Well, he didn't make it. Idiot! He got hit by a car in oncoming traffic. So of course, everyone stops now. This is at a fairly busy intersection at 5:15 in the afternoon. I stop my car in the center lane since no one can turn anyway because this guy has blocked it by getting into another wreck. I get out and make sure the person that hit him is okay and then I want to just let loose on the guy that caused all of this. My temper sometimes get the better of me but I held it together pretty good and just let him have a few choice words. He was not happy to see me walk up. I think it scared him to death with me being pregnant. Anyway, he's all mad about everything but there isn't anyway for him to flee. I'm still shocked and quite angry, so all I want to do is cry. My tear ducts are connected to the angry bones in my body, so of course I cry. I think that made all of the people around me even more anxious about me. I had 3 or 4 people ask me if I wanted them to call an ambulance. Thank you but NO! I'm just pregnant, emotional, and cry when I really don't want to! Thank heavens, for Amy Felt. Her family just happened to stop at Walgreens and were there to hear and see some of this. She recognized me and ended up staying with me. Bishop Felt went to tell Rich what happened since I left my phone on the counter because remember, I was only going to Papa Murphy's and coming right back ( or so I thought). I ended up being gone almost an hour. But having Amy there was a great blessing. She helped me be calm and actually get my whits about everything. The cops showed up and talked to everyone. Turns out, the guy that hit me had no driver license, no insurance, and a couple of warrants out for his arrest. Gah!!! One of the cops gave him an earful and I loved it. I hate that he caused so much damage but I'm so glad that he went to jail. It was pretty cool seeing him handcuffed, patted down, and put in the police car. And the best part, my car nor I was not hurt at all! If the heifer would have just stopped and talked to me when he first hit me, I probably would have said don't worry about and let him go on his merry way. But oh well, he didn't and he made things even worse for himself. I did have a bit of bruising on my belly from the seat belt and a slight stiff neck but overall, I was fine, just shaken. Amy ended up driving me home in my car and we had our pizza for dinner. It's crazy to think that that really happened to me. But I'm thankful for being watched over and being kept out of harms way. Crazy huh?

5 comments:

Debra said...

Oh my gosh! That's totally crazy! I'm glad you're okay!

The Pingels said...

Holy Cow! Glad you were okay! I was the only one hurt in our wreck and all I got was a bruise on my arm from slamming into the door (he hit the driver's side of our car). But oh man, I would have given him more than an earful, he would've gotten a piece of my fist to the jaw too! You are a better woman than I am!

Aurelia Thomas said...

wow that is scary! i am so glad that you are ok. although are you sure? bruising on the belly? did you get that checked out? i wouldn't have known what to do. glad you chased him down though. also, i think i would have cried and i don't have pregnant hormones.

Kalley said...

So glad you are okay. There are a lot of stupid people in this world.

Stephanie said...

Crazy story Nancy. I'm glad you're okay, and your car. And, serves the guy right. You should have faked labor pains - that would have been funny.