Sunday, March 10, 2013

Kinda scary...

I'm not one to really talk about medical issues happening with me. I usually keep things quiet. But I am so baffled by this current issue with me that I need an outlet to talk. I'm choosing the blog.

On my official paperwork it says that I have Left Subclavian Deep Vein Thrombosis. The explanation it gives me is a blood clot (thrombus) that develops in a deep vein. A DVT is a clot in the deep, larger veins of the leg, arm, or pelvis. These are more dangerous than clots that might form in veins on the surface of the body. Deep vein thrombosis can lead to complications if the clot breaks off and travels in the bloodstream to the lungs. Sounds quite fun, eh?

So long story short... My arm has been hurting. I happened to mention it at a check up on Wed. My doctor didn't think much of it. She just thought that since it was my left arm & that I'm left handed, it probably had something to do with that but she thought I should have it looked at just in case. I went in for an ultra sound on my arm on Friday. Turns out I have a clot in my neck/arm area. I spent the better part of the night with doctors poking & prodding & taking lots of blood. 



The doctors think that it is a pretty "fresh" clot (meaning not very old) and PROBABLY won't break off but still very dangerous none the less. That at least got me out of surgery and a hospital stay. I do however have to give myself injections in the belly and take a blood thinner. The shot itself doesn't hurt but when the medicine starts spreading that annoyingly hurts. I have the joy of getting my blood checked multiple times in the coming weeks and whatever else the doctor feels the need to check.

It has been a very tiring weekend. I am a bit frightened knowing what could happen at any moment. At one point the doctor said about the clot "I don't know what will happen to it in the next five minutes but this is what we think..." Yeah, that was rather comforting. I love knowing that I could suddenly have a stroke...

I did have a blessing, & I truly believe it has helped. I know that the situation could be a lot worse. But I also know that this isn't something to mess around with either. 

I'll keep you updated...




3 comments:

conner posse said...

Oh my goodness, Nancy - I, of course, never would have known. Thank you for sharing so those around you can be a better help and support in your life. You also educated me...didn't know much about DVT before. I pray you'll be okay and that all will work out. I'm going to put your name in the temple tomorrow. *hugs*

THE CONKS said...

That is so scary! I am so sorry you are going through this. You and your family are in our prayers. Mariah

Debra said...

I'm so sorry you are going through that! I had a DVT in my leg after I broke my foot. See if you can get tested for clotting disorders. And if you plan on getting pregnant again, I'd encourage you to see a perinatologist and get on blood thinner. When I was pregnant with Joy and ended up in the hospital and almost died, it was because I got another DVT in the same damaged vein and it did break off and traveled to my lungs. If I knew then what I knew now, I'd have done things much differently. So hopefully I can be here to help you through this via my experiences if you have any questions. ***HUGS***